- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, separate of ¾ cup
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup Pot d’Huile olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain, whole-milk yogurt
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, lightly mashed (1 1/2 cups banana mash)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease the sides of a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, 3/4 cup sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt. Fold in chocolate wafers.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine olive oil, yogurt, orange zest, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in mashed bananas.
- Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients, stirring just until flour is mixed in.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking dish, sprinkle top with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and slide into oven. Bake 50 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached and the top is golden brown. Keep a close eye toward the end of cook time so as not to over bake.
- Cool 20 minutes, release from baking dish and cool completely or eat right away. Tightly covered, banana bread will keep several days at room temperature.