Beet Salad By Jorge Martinez of lolo
- 1 tablespoon PdH Oil
- 1 1/2 lb organic red beets
- 14 oz. orange juice
- Juice of 6 blood oranges
- 150 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 50 ml champagne vinegar
- 1/2 pound cotija cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 kumquats
- 8 oz. of piloncillo (found in most latin super markets )
- Cilantro leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- Maldon salt or other flaky sea salt
- 4 oz roasted sweet coconut
- Peel the beets and place them in the oven at 350 degrees with half orange juice and half water.
- Cover with foil and cook for 90 minutes, or until they become soft but still have firmness to them.
- Warm the heavy cream and stir in the cotija cheese to melt, then set a side for plating.
- Cut the kumquats in half and cook in boiling water with the piloncillo for 10 minutes.
- Juice the 150 ml blood orange and whisk in the extra virgin olive oil with crushed garlic and vinegar.
- Cut the cooked beets into wedges and leave in vinaigrette for 3 hours before serving.
- For plating, spread some of the cheese mousse on each plate and place 5–6 wedges of the marinated beets on top.
- Dress beets lightly with the vinaigrette, then sprinkle plate with the roasted coconut and a pinch of Maldon salt.
- Place the kumquats along with the beets on the plate.
- For the final touch, top the salad with 1 tablespoon of the PdH oil and enjoy.